Monday, January 20, 2014

Doctor Appointments for Gabe, 34 weeks, Weekend of Projects

January 17

We had GREAT news yesterday. Gabe had an appointment with the allergist and with his regular doctor for his 2 year appt. The allergist looked at the results from the blood test that showed he was positive to milk and dog. He completely dismissed the milk allergy as within a normal range. He asked a lot of follow up questions and when we said no to all of them, he said it was unlikely Gabe is allergic to milk at all. 

He agreed the dog allergy is real but he again asked a lot of questions and in the end, it sounds like Gabe is allergic, but not very. He also said not to take the "high" number so seriously on this particular test because it's prone to a lot of false positives. Plus, he said some one with the same number could break out into hives every time they're near a dog and that would be the "norm" for them. We've been around dogs several times in the family and for days on end sometimes and never noticed Gabe suffering with stuffiness or immediate ear infections after family functions. 

He tested poor Gabe for a few other things and basically everything came back normal. His opinion at this point is allergies are not the cause of Gabe's past ear infections and hopefully the adenoid removal will solve our problem now.

It was nice to have the pediatrician appointment right after because the pediatrician completely agreed with the allergist and said we don't have to cut out milk at all. What a relief. In other health news, Gabe had a great 2 year check up.  He's 35" tall (65%) and 33 pounds (93%). At this point they say he'll be about 5'10" when he's older. My short genes brought him down! Henry is supposed to be 6'1" like his dad.   

Yesterday I also passed the 34 week mark. I'm more and more uncomfortable as the days go on. My belly has a mind of it's own and I'm getting so large. Babies and I are healthy though and doing well. My weekly check up shows I'm still measuring 44 weeks along and the babies continue to have strong heart beats. I am starting to have more contractions at random times but that doesn't mean anything as long as they don't become consistent. They're just annoying. Only 4 weeks left now!


January 19 & 20

The weekend went by pretty fast. Mike's parents came down to help with some house projects and the kids. I've been asking for a long time to get my giant sky light window in our bedroom covered up. It's beautiful but it is so bright it's hard to sleep when I want to nap or even if it's my turn to sleep in on the weekends. I was going to use cardboard but luckily Mike and his dad had a better idea and were able to get some material from Home Depot that was opaque and looked decent in the window. I'm super excited. I also purchased some curtains and curtain rods for the lower window so Mike got those installed the next day.

They also got Henry's old bed converted back into a crib and put in our bedroom. It was a little messed up after Henry had it. A lot of screw holes were stripped so they had to buy new longer screws to fix them. It's all set up now and ready for babies! I hope =)

Finally, Mike and his dad worked on getting our new TV installed properly in the room. We had it on the wall before but the cords were showing. They bought all the stuff to get the cords hidden. It took a long time, but it looks great! I also managed to talk Mike into getting headsets for the new TV. With Gabe I was only able to stay awake the every two hours he was up to feed by watching TV shows on Netflix in his room. My plan now is to use the new TV to do the same but with the headset I can watch TV without waking up Mike or the kids. We decided to get two headsets so we can also start watching TV later in the evening when the boys are in bed. The wall isn't very thick between our rooms and the TV was pretty loud in the boys room. Henry sleeps deeply but Gabe does not!




Speaking of Gabe, he has thrown us for another loop in his new bedroom. We have to keep his old bed as a toddler bed because he keeps getting banished there to sleep. He's into everything and will not stay in bed. His recent antics involved pulling down one of the dressers. He pulled all the drawers out making it top heavy and then pulled it and everything on top of it down. Now we have to get brackets or something to secure the dressers to the wall before he can sleep in there again. What a stinker!

No comments: