Sunday, February 28, 2010

February Updates

Tuesday, February 2nd

Today I sold my bed set off Craigslist! We had a really nice young couple who just bought a house come to look at it. Luckily it was a quick sale and they were happy with the purchase and didn't dicker with the price. Hopefully I'll sell the rest of the items soon...

Today was also a milestone for Mike and the baby. Mike's been trying for weeks to feel the baby like I do but the little guy just hasn't been big enough to feel on the outside. Well today Mike decided to try to listen to Baby Dozeman's heartbeat instead of trying to feel for him and while he was trying to listen for the heartbeat, Baby Dozeman gave him a big punch in the face! Not exactly how we expected he would feel the movement but at least he felt something =)

Wednesday, February 3rd

Today was the first of two classes for Basic Prenatal classes. So far it's just the basics of natural birth and what happens to the mom and baby during the process. It's a bit intimidating but it's too late to turn back now! We went over some basic breathing and coping with contraction techniques but Mike and I think we want to Lamaze or something in addition to this class.

Saturday, February 6th

We had to get up pretty early to go to yet another baby class but this time it was called Baby Basics. We learned how to bathe the baby, safety tips for cribs, car seats, etc, basic baby CPR and a number of other things. It was a very long day of learning but were glad we went to experience it.
After the class we finally registered at Babies R Us for the shower. It was an exhausting and overwhelming experience. There is so much they say you need for a baby but we're not really sure what we need so it's hard to know what's option and what's necessary. We did our best but I think there are some things we need to add later and maybe some things we'll need to take off.

Wednesday, February 10th

In the second and final round of Baby Pre-Natal we learned about C-Sections and other medical interventions in labor like inducing, etc. It was very educational but also made us hope for a normal, healthy delivery. We did get a tour of the birthing center at Bronson which was very nice. We saw were we would deliver the baby and the rooms we would go to afterwards. We really like Bronson and feel they will take very good care of me and the baby someday.

Saturday, February 13th
Today was a crazy day. Mike and I started off by getting a last minute massage because I got a coupon in an email. It was a very nice, relaxing experience but I think my masseuse was nervous about putting too much pressure on me because of the baby so I didn't feel the deep muscle relaxation I usually do after a massage. Anyways, it was nice and it was a treat to me and Mike for Valentine's Day.

After the massage we went back home to relax a bit and get ready for a busy evening. First we had Max's baptism in Albion. I can hardly believe how big Max is getting! It was a nice service, the shortest Catholic service Mike and I had ever been to, and the baptism turned out well. We had to leave before the celebration dinner because we were going to Mike's coworkers very belated Christmas party.

The Christmas party was fun with lots of food and friends. Everyone is excited for us and the baby. We didn't last as long as we have in previous years just because I can't stay up past 11 on a boring day and we had a busy day today =) Mike and I had to make our excuses and leave with the rest of the parents with babysitters at home at the early hour of 11 p.m.
Sunday, February 14th

We've officially crossed over to the dark side of boring couples. We didn't do a thing today for Valentine's Day.

Monday, February 15th
For some reason Stryker closed for President's Day. We don't close for 3 feet of snow but we have a random holiday in February. We didn't complain too much though. We decided to go paint shopping and get a few things done around the house with our extra time. We did pick out a color for the baby room and got the primer on the wall. We have to put probably two coats of paint on the walls so it's going to be a long week.

Tuesday, February 16th

Today we put the first coat of paint on the walls for the baby room. So far it looks 100x better than it did before! We can't wait to see the final results.

Wednesday, February 17th
We had to take a break from painting today to go to church for Ash Wednesday. I can't believe it's the Easter season already and Lent has begun. I will take it though because it means this horribly long winter is almost over and spring will be here soon!

Thursday, February 18th

Today we started attending a "Lenten Series" at our church. It's every Thursday during lent and it discusses topics pertaining to the Lenten season. Our priest is new to our church and super ambitious so we anticipate there will be more series like this for us to attend.
Saturday, February 20th
Today we spent most of the day painting. Unfortunately it's not that exciting so there isn't much to say about it. I must say it's getting harder to paint as my belly continues to expand =)
After we were done painting for the day we had dinner at Mom and Dad Smolsky's house. Camla came to town so we were able to make it a double whammy and see my sister and my parents in one trip. It was a lot of fun, especially after a boring day of painting.
Sunday, February 21st

Today we put another coat of paint in the baby room and had our bi-monthly bowling league. I'm still doing the same at bowling but Mike is doing really well. He plays on two leagues now - the one we are on together and another league that meets every Friday night. He's very into bowling right now. I'm on the countdown to where I won't be able to play anymore. I can throw the ball okay but I waddle a bit and it's not improving my game any!
Tuesday, February 22nd

Today we attended a "Car Seat Demo" at the local Babies R Us store. We were the only couple who actually showed up for the demo but it worked out well because we were able to get our questions answered on a personal level. We looked around at the different brands and Mike asked more questions than me but in the end we decided on the Chicco (sp?) brand. Mike spent a great deal of time putting the demo seat in his mustang trying to make sure we could safely put a car seat in his car. It was a tight fit and as long as no other passengers travel with Mike and he doesn't need a large diaper bag, a car seat will fit in the backseat of his car. Sigh. I guess we will have yet another year with his mustang =) I'm still not a fan of his car...

Wednesday, February 23rd
Today we had dinner at our friends Jessica & Adam's house. They just recently bought a new home and were getting settled when we came to visit. We had a great time and they have a lovely new home. Mike and I were a little overwhelmed by their kids (2.5 & 1 years old) running around just being kids. Adam and Jessica aren't even phased by the energy but Mike and I were nervous. This scenario will be very familiar before we know it!

Thursday, February 24th
Today I had my regular check up for the doctor. I'm 27 weeks and things are going well. The appointments are pretty routine now. I go in, get weighed, they check a number of things and ask the same questions, the doctor comes in for about 5 minutes to go over the information the nurse collected and then we're sent home. We did go for our glucose test today. It's a routine test they do when you're between 26 & 30 weeks to check for pregnancy diabetes. I've heard of so many women failing the 1 hour test I was really nervous I would be one of them! If you fail the 1 hour test you have to come back for a 3 hour test and I hear it's boring and awful. Let's hope I pass the test...

We had yet another dinner out but this time to celebrate my friend Melissa's birthday. We didn't get to talk to my friend due to the size of the group but we sat next to another couple who were expecting so we were able to talk about babies and other fun pregnancy stuff. They were super nice so we had a good time. It has just been an exhausting week of events!
Saturday, February 27th
Today we went to a local pizza fest supporting a sports group at our local middle school. Basically 8 different pizza places come to this middle school gym and they offer different kinds of pizza. You pay a set fee to get in and you get a voting card to vote on your favorite pizza. I couldn't eat that much pizza but I know Mike had at least 3 plates =)

After pizza fest we went to our friends Melanie & Bruco's house to celebrate Bruco's birthday. It was a pretty low-key party and that worked out great for me. We stayed for quite some time at their place before we had to leave for the night.

Sunday, February 28th

Today Mike and I went to church at our church in the morning and then we started a class at a different church for a parenting class. It's a series at our friend's Adam & Jessica's church that go over a bunch of different things parents go through with kids. We're a little premature for the group but overall we really enjoyed it. The couples are younger and so nice we felt very welcome.
After the group meeting we went to a Family & Children Expo at the Radisson. It's basically a bunch of different businesses in town that get together so parents can see what they offer. We were interested in the mommy/child groups, diaper services, and pediatrician offices. We didn't stay long but we did get some helpful information.
Once we got back to the house it wasn't long before our friend Phil came to help us pick up our new crib and dresser set for the baby. I can't remember which day we looked at the sets but we did make a decision and bought the set. It wasn't until after we bought it that we realized we had no way to get the set home. Our car isn't large enough and we didn't know anyone at the moment who could come help us pick it up. We had to leave the set we bought at the store and call around for someone to help us pick it up. Thankfully Phil has a big truck and he was willing to help =) I got some great photos of the boys trying to get the stuff up the stairs. Who knew baby furniture would be so heavy!

Baby Update

Baby Dozeman is doing very well. I feel like I get bigger and bigger every day but overall I'm having a very easy pregnancy. I don't get up during the night and I never have a problem sleeping. Sometimes I wake up if I accidentally lay on my stomach but that's about it. I finally got a belly shot on 2/28. I know it's late but hey, at least I got something =)

No comments: