Today we are in Georgetown, Cayman Islands. I thought it was Cozumel but I guess that’s tomorrow. Whoops. Anyways, we set off pretty early to go to snorkeling. We had two spots to check out – a reef area and a shipwreck. The reef and the shipwreck were pretty neat. We took quite a few pictures under water but it’s on an old fashioned film underwater camera so we’ll have to post any good ones later. The shipwreck was neat to see because, well, it’s a shipwreck but it wasn’t what I thought it would be. I guess the ship sunk in the 1940s but it was built in the 1800s. It was a cargo ship that transported rice and somehow water got into the cargo area and the rice expanded. Since there wasn’t much room in the base of the ship, the rice expanded a hole in the side of the ship! It sank within hours. Since it was near shore you could see the shipwreck pretty clear. The locals decided to blow up the ship (or what was left sticking out the water) so really underwater you see the remains of a blown up/sunken ship. It was definitely different.
After snorkeling Mike and I headed to Margaretville. We had a burger and I had a margarita before heading back to the ship. Overall it was a fun experience with a lot of happening things. The DJ in the restaurant had some competitions going on for free shirts/drinks/etc. He even gave up free shots of tequila. We declined since we would have to go up to the stage and he gave them out by just pouring the bottle into various people’s mouths. Yuck. Anyways, it was fun to watch.
Once we were back on the ship we were tired after another day in the sun so we took it pretty easy for a few hours. I read a book on deck and Mike took a semi nap in the lounge chair. Around 7 we got ready for another formal night and ate dinner with two Irish couples this time. We talked a bit about the ship and they all gave me advice on where we should go if we ever make it to Ireland. I’m happy to have some local people’s advice on the different things to see and do. I’m very excited by the prospect of an Ireland/Europe vacation. Obviously I need to get through this one first but Ireland is definitely on the list =)
After dinner we walked around looking for new places to see on ship. We visited a few new bars and eventually decided we were too tired to stay up late. We called it an early night. We’ve had pretty neat towel arrangements in our room every night but this night we had a really cool one. We think it’s a monkey.
Today, as always, we had an early start but our last trip excursion. Today we are (officially) in Cozumel, Mexico. We were scheduled for a Mayan Ruin tour. It was pretty extensive to get to the ruins. First we took a boat from our boat to get to the mainland from Cozumel. Then we took a bus to the ruins. We stopped briefly at a flea market type place for a restroom break and shopping opportunity. I bartered once again (the “sale” hunter in me loves negotiating prices) for a souvenir. This time I bought a letter open made from some special kind of cooled lava that changes colors in the light. I like it. This is me in a neat swing they had outside the flea market:
No comments:
Post a Comment