Sunday, August 9, 2009

Unexpected Trips, Babies, Old Friends, New Opportunities!

After an uneventful Monday and Tuesday, Mike finds out on Wednesday he needs to go on a last-minute business trip to Tampa for a convention. We tried to find a cheap ticket for me to go along with him but on three days notice, we had zero luck finding anything reasonable. So, Mike had to plan the trip by himself. Thursday was spent doing laundry and trying to iron things he would need for the trip. Mike left Friday afternoon for his flight out of Detroit.

As for me, I made plans to go out with some friends since I was free Friday night. I met up with my friend Erin and her cousin Ashley. We started out at Shakespeare’s Pub where we also met up with some friends for a bit before heading out for dancing at Wild Bull. Kzoo is pretty small when you think about it so it shouldn't be surprising we found more friends at Wild Bull =) It was really a fun time. We had drinks, friends and dancing.



Highlights of the evening included meeting a very short but rich man whose parents own half of Kalamazoo, at least that’s according to a friend of mine who says he knows him. Then poor Ashley was stalked by a local news anchor who had way too much to drink and wanted her to run away with him into the night or something. That was creepy. Erin had a "regular" attender of the bar ask her to marry him or dance with him, or maybe it just give him the time of day. Either way, she said no. Then a friend of our friends started pretending he was the lead singer for some song that was playing in the club. I don’t remember what it was but it was hilarious watching him “work the mic”.

I didn’t get in until 3ish on Saturday morning. I sent Mike some text messages since he was keeping up with me during the night. He ended up seeing a movie in Tampa after settling into his hotel. Saturday I slept in pretty late and woke up to find it was raining hard. I had plans to visit my high school/college friend Janell who just had a baby last week. I got up, bought a last minute gift (I can’t do anything ahead of time anymore…) and started my trip to Elkhart.

It didn’t take as long as I thought it would to get there so I ended up being an hour and half early when I reached Elkhart. Since Janell and Rob are still getting used to the new baby routine, I didn’t want to show up unexpectedly. Instead, I went to visit Alice, my ex’s great aunt who kept up with me after the divorce. She’s doing great for someone in her late 80s and she was so happy to see me it was touching. I spent some time catching up with her before I had to go. I left with the promise I would come back with Mike so she can meet him so I will have to arrange to do that soon!

So, I went to visit Janell, Rob and the new baby. Jayla Jean is super cute and so tiny. I forget how small a new born can be – especially when they’re considered premature. I got to hold her for a long time which I visited with Rob and Janell. I was enjoying myself immensely when before I knew it, it was time for Jayla’s next feeding and I had to get going. I also promised when I would visit again soon. I’ll have to figure out when and how later =)
After leaving Rob, Janell & Jayla, I met up with Camla and Paul for dinner at Luccesse. I haven’t been there in years, since I moved from Elkhart, but I found their food was still delicious. They have a new restaurant, a lot bigger than the last, but it’s still the same place for the most part. I talked with them for awhile before we got the distinct impression the waitress at Luccesse’s didn’t want us lingering in her section. It was very rude. But we made our excuses and decided to leave around 8. I headed home and crashed pretty soon afterwards.

Today I slept in and did a lot of laundry and cleaning up. My parents came over for dinner and to keep my company this evening. I’m just now (at 10:30!) finishing up the laundry/ironing. After this blog I’ll have to put it all away… sigh. It never ends.

From what I heard Mike’s trip is going well and he should be home around midnight. I will probably not wait up for him but at the rate I’m getting things done, he may be home before I finish!

This week I start a new opportunity in a different department. It’s not a permanent position and I’m not sure how the hours are going to work but it sounds like it’s a trial for a possible position later. Hopefully it’s something I’ll like. If not, I still have a solid position where I am =)

Wish me luck!

No comments: