We just don’t have time to be sick in this household…Saturday August 15th we had plans to go with Melanie and Bruco to a “Salsa Showdown” in Holland, Michigan. It was a competition for salsa. Local people made their own versions of salsa and the talent ranged from amateur to pro. You got a basket of chips and you went around tasting the different selections. When you found one you liked the best you gave the people a poker-like chip. We all picked different people who we liked best. I like sweeter salsas so I picked someone who used pears, mango and pineapple in his salsa. It was super yummy. I think Mike picked someone who made a different version of a mango salsa.
After the competition we took off for the beach. This was one of the first weekends Michigan had where the weather was warm enough to go to the beach (80s). It’s been pretty cold for the summer. I can hardly believe we even had a summer since the weather has been so cool. Anyways, we brought our blankets, umbrella, books and coolers to the beach for a few hours of fun. I’m not really a swimmer anymore so I lathered up with sunscreen and played a beached whale while everyone else went swimming. I hear the water wasn’t too bad but they didn’t last long in it. Overall we decided we were all old and didn’t stay on the beach longer than 2 hours. It got too hot and uncomfortable. We packed up and left early. We stopped for dinner on the way back before crashing for the night.
After viewing the patio we took off for lunch and a bit of gambling at the casino. I have to say it was quite shocking to see my parents at a casino. I just haven’t ever seen them in that type of environment. We ate lunch at a buffet and managed to convince Mom and Dad to try their luck at the slot machines. No one had much luck with it. I lost my allotted money pretty quick. Mike played Craps for awhile but he didn’t win more than $20. Overall it was a fun trip but obviously not our time to win.
Around this time I finally caught what Mike had and got sick. At first it was bad but then it tapered off into annoying. I was sick the whole week with typical cold symptoms. The weekend of August 22nd & 23rd Mike and I attended a friend’s pig roast, visited his parents and did some much needed clothes shopping. We decided to try the malls in Grand Rapids since they have more store choices. Overall we managed to get a lot of stuff for reasonable prices because of the back-to-school sales. It was an exhausting weekend of socializing and shopping (hard to believe I can say such a thing!).
This week (August 24th) I haven’t improved health wise. I finally gave in and went to the doctor on Wednesday. They diagnosed me with bronchitis and sent me home with antibiotics. At first I felt like I improved but by Friday I was feeling the same and I didn’t have many antibiotics left. However, as usual I didn’t have time to go to the doctor for it. Instead we had plans just about every night of the week. Our friend Steve and Dee came to town from Connecticut for a wedding so we say Steve Thursday night. We had a great time but I was reminded by my lungs that smoke and bronchitis do NOT mix!! I left early so I could breathe.
This week (August 24th) I haven’t improved health wise. I finally gave in and went to the doctor on Wednesday. They diagnosed me with bronchitis and sent me home with antibiotics. At first I felt like I improved but by Friday I was feeling the same and I didn’t have many antibiotics left. However, as usual I didn’t have time to go to the doctor for it. Instead we had plans just about every night of the week. Our friend Steve and Dee came to town from Connecticut for a wedding so we say Steve Thursday night. We had a great time but I was reminded by my lungs that smoke and bronchitis do NOT mix!! I left early so I could breathe.
Friday we had plans to visit my friend Alice in Elkhart, Indiana. Alice is my ex’s great aunt who has always kept up with me after things were over with us. She in her late 80s and will most likely be moving in with her daughter in New Jersey soon. She’s sharp as a tack but her body is just not cooperating. I promised her I would bring my new husband Mike to visit her before she left. Mike was a real trooper going to visit someone he didn’t know well at all and accepting the circumstances of how I knew her.
Overall the visit went fantastic. Alice’s daughter and son-in-law, Linda and Bob, were in town planning to take her with them back to New Jersey next week. They brought their two birds with them and it was very entertaining. I will try to post the video of these birds doing their tricks. We had a great time watching them and chatting with Linda, Bob and Alice.
Overall the visit went fantastic. Alice’s daughter and son-in-law, Linda and Bob, were in town planning to take her with them back to New Jersey next week. They brought their two birds with them and it was very entertaining. I will try to post the video of these birds doing their tricks. We had a great time watching them and chatting with Linda, Bob and Alice.
Mike and Rich were still working on the deck when I got back. They’re making really nice progress. The reddish color of our deck is almost completely gone. Unfortunately I don’t think Mike will be done by Wednesday as he originally hoped. We’ll have to squeeze in finishing it before our cruise next week though!
The doctor at the urgent care suggested if this all doesn’t help than I need to go back to the allergist and get tested for asthma. Since I’m allergic to my darling cats, I may be fighting a losing battle if these problems all stem from my cats and not a virus. I really hope it’s just a virus. If it is the cats, I have a whole new set of problems!
That’s about all I got for now. We leave Friday evening for Detroit to catch our plane at the butt crack of dawn on Saturday. We’ll be gone Saturday September 5-12th. We leave from Miami on the Royal Caribbean cruise to Jamaica, Haiti and an island somewhere off Mexico. We’re both really looking forward to it!
No comments:
Post a Comment