Monday, January 26, 2009

My Pathetic Self

Okay, I’m changing the title of this blog from the “Daily Dozeman Dish” to the “Weekly Dozeman Dish” or maybe just Dozeman Dish. I can’t keep up with daily reports. First, we’re not that interesting and second, I just can’t find the time to devote to sitting at this computer!

Alright, where I left off was last Wednesday. Tuesday afternoon my friend Jessica gave birth to her daughter Maya Elizabeth. After taking a day of rest and recovery she invited friends to visit her and Maya at the hospital. I was super excited to see the new baby and even Mike wanted to see Maya since new babies have a different meaning to him now that our future family isn’t so far away – no, I’m not pregnant I’m just speaking hypothetically. After work we went to the hospital and found Jessica’s room with almost no problems. We couldn’t figure out how to get in the maternity ward at first because they had locked the automatic door. After staring at it for a good two minutes looking around the sides for any buttons or call boxes, a security guard startled us from behind and asked who we were there to see. Thankfully we had the right hospital and Jessica was on the list so he buzzed us in!


Maya is such a cutie… she’s so tiny and well, helpless. I was very proud of Mike for holding her and I’m sad I didn’t have my camera to capture the moment! We both took a whole new meaning from the experience. Mike left thinking babies weren’t so bad – they’re cute and pretty quiet and Adam looked very at ease with the whole situation (never mind this is Adam & Jessica’s second child so I’m sure we missed their more panicked moments with their first daughter Hannah). I, on the other hand, paid very close attention to how Jessica was recovering. She had a C-Section so the recovery was more painful. Overall she looked great but very uncomfortable and tired. I understand everyone is different but still, it doesn’t make me want to jump on the bandwagon without serious thought =)

Thursday we didn’t do anything important. Friday after work we ran some errands and then came home. We had plans to go out and either go to Bell’s to see a local band or hang out at another bar. We decided to forgo both and ended up staying home. Mike did our taxes and I enjoyed watching “Attila the Hun” with Gerard Butler - obviously a half-dressed barbarian in the dark ages winning many battles and women wasn’t Mike’s idea of a great movie. I liked it anyways.


Saturday was pretty boring… After a very quick breakfast with Mike, I went to the salon to have my hair colored and cut. I hadn’t done anything with it since before the wedding and it was seriously starting to show some wear. I had an idea of getting it cut shorter but I think I got a little too crazy in the salon and we hacked off about 4 inches. I do like it – it’s a darker brownish/red and just under my chin. I had Mike take a picture when it was still styled from the salon so it looks nice. I have not mastered the new haircut yet but I think with a few more days I’ll have a confirmed method.

Saturday afternoon we attempted to see “Slumdog Millionaire” but the theater was so packed when we finally got in (the theater was super busy in general) we couldn’t find a seat! I’m sure there were some seats scattered about the place but we were late like usual so I made Mike return the tickets to a later show. In the meantime we made a trip to the mall to return my baby gift for Jessica. I was a dork and bought her a boy’s gifting banking on her having a boy. Since Maya is not a boy we returned what I bought and Mike helped me pick out a new gift. I’ll post a picture later – after we give Maya her gift =)

After shopping we did see “Slumdog Millionaire.” I have mixed reviews on it… on one hand I enjoyed seeing the rags to riches story but at the same time, I had no idea what kind of poverty and corruption there really is in the world. We’re so sheltered from it in America. Although it wasn’t the purpose of the movie to depict the horrors children and adults go through on a daily life in the poorer parts of India, it kind of sticks with you after you leave that you’re incredibly lucky to have all you have. I felt guilty Mike and I were looking at prices for furniture for our formal living room – a room I only anticipate we’ll spend less than a year in during our entire lifetime – when there is so much need in the world. It’s almost overwhelming.

Sunday was another laid-back day. I’m interested in finding a church that’s smaller than St Catherine’s so we can have a stronger church family feeling. Mike’s fine with the idea at this point as long as I keep looking at Catholic churches =) We tried a new one in Mattawan – St John Bosch I think it was called. Overall the experience was nice except I had some issues with the distance and it was a little too small for the larger congregation. Mike liked the idea our CEO is now attending there but I told him that wasn’t a good enough reason to starts roots in a town too far away for us to enjoy often =)

After church we had quite an experience. Mike and I realized, to our dismay, that we are products of a plastic generation. Let me back up: Catholic’s believe you should fast 1 hour before receiving Eucharist. Since Mike and I are far from morning people, we are usually coming downstairs just in time to feed the cats and fly out the door. We always miss breakfast. After mass on Sunday the reader announced the Knights of Columbus were hosting a Chili/Soup cookout in the church cafeteria. Mike and I were thrilled. First, I turned Mike on to the whole Chili phenomenon just recently and ever since I believe it’s become one of his favorite foods. Second, we were very hungry and on such a cold day, chili sounded like heaven.

Wouldn’t you know there was a $5 suggestion donation amount per person? The money itself wasn’t a problem but the cash was. Mike and I didn’t have 50 cents in cash between us and there were no ATMs in the church (hello! Put that in the suggestion box…). Of course neither of us carries checks either because honestly, who writes checks anymore!? We stood at the entry to the church cafeteria looking sadly at the bowls of steaming hot soup, bags of chips, potato salad, cookies and juice all mocking us. Mike in his desperation suggested we didn’t need to put any money in the pot. However tempting the idea, we both quickly decided it wasn’t the best one. Our only recourse was the look for an ATM or go home.

Let me tell you, Mattawan is far from a lively place. We didn’t see any ATMs on our way out and by the time we got home to get money it was too late to go back. We hung our heads and ended up at a local diner instead. It was still good food but the loss of the church’s cookout was a severe hit to our moral for the afternoon.


Sunday evening Mike and I spent bumming with the cats with a few moments of productivity. I needed to do some laundry and Mike needed to pack for a business trip. He’s in Quebec today through Wednesday at Stryker Canada. He should be getting off the plane soon and then heading to his hotel. I want to imagine he’ll spend the night resting and preparing for his day tomorrow but I’m sure he and his friends will all go out and have a good time in a new place =P However, I also understand it’s frigid in Quebec right now so maybe he won’t want to stay out at all.

Today I started off enjoying my time alone although I do still miss Mike. I made a trip to the grocery store after work and experienced a look of sympathy I cannot shake. I only needed a few things – Pop, salad for the rabbit, cat food and milk. I got all my items and included a small individual meal from the deli for my dinner. While in line at the do-it-yourself checkout aisle, I had some issues with the machine so an employee had to come over and help me out. The cart full of diet coke, cat food and a single-person meal made the attendant look at me with great sympathy. Although he did not say anything, I felt his expression said “Poor chick – all she has to look forward to tonight are chicken burritos and her cat.” You’d think he’d see my ring and automatically correct his way of thinking but then I realize I’m still wearing my winter gloves. I left feeling sorry for my single self until I remembered it wasn’t permanent!

For the record though… all I did have to look forward to tonight was my chicken burrito, my blog and Louis helping me find my mouse pointer on my desktop. Perhaps the Meijer employee’s look was not so undeserved =P



1 comment:

camla said...

Good entry!! I posted a long one too. I guess we are more weekly than daily!!! I really liked Slumdog. Not that it was "feel good", but it was an amazing picture, I thought.

And, lets let Mike think babies are "mostly quiet"!! Ha Ha!! If we tell him the truth you will never have kids!!!