Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Fly-by Weekend

It's amazing to me how I can feel like my life is boring but then I don't have enough time to do anything. Let's see if I can pick up where I left off...

Wednesday was a typical day where Mike and I went to work and then actually skipped the gym to watch American Idol. Thursday and Friday are a blur. Obviously I worked and I think I made it to the gym on Thursday but apparently it wasn't very memorable. Friday Mike and I worked late (can we say workaholics? =) ) and then I came home and started cleaning. Mike was supposed to help me but it's amazing how long a simple email to someone at work can take when scrubbing toilets and cleaning cat litters are all you have to look forward to!

Saturday and Sunday were booked with events. First, Saturday morning started off terrible... wait, let me back up a bit in this story. In late November we went to the tire place to have the mustang's winter tires put on. Unfortunately we found out after 6 years of winter use they were shot. We could get new ones but they would cost us $600-$800. With the wedding, honeymoon and holidays hitting us all at once, we decided it made more sense to save up and carpool.

Which brings us to present day - Saturday my first event started at noon at Olive Garden where I would meet with some friends for lunch and then go to the movies to see Bride Wars. When Mike's alarm started blaring at 9:30 a.m. I was more than slightly annoyed. After questioning why he would set his alarm for so early in our day off he responded he had a broom ball game that morning. I know what you're thinking... what's broom ball? Well I'll get to that next. I had forgotten he had this broom ball event and was happy he had somewhere to be since I had my day planned. I asked him who was picking him up and then that's where the problem began. Apparently we had double booked our only car. So, after a scramble to decide who would try to bum a ride from a friend, I was on the losing end and had to cross my fingers Melanie wouldn't mind making a detour to pick me up. Luckily she was very accommodating so she agreed to pick me up.

As Saturday morning progressed, my rough start compounded when halfway through blow drying my hair I blew a fuse. I'm not really savvy at household things yet. I tried to fix the fuse but I was unsuccessful. Not feeling too down yet, I tried to go into the guest bathroom to finish up. Unfortunately that outlet was out too. Not to worry, we have three bathrooms so I try the downstairs one. No luck. Seriously? Who the hell wires a house to have ALL the bathroom outlets on the same fuse so when one goes out, they ALL go out. Sigh. By the time I found a working outlet in the KITCHEN, my hair was a wavy mess which I barely controlled with a curling iron and the reflection from my microwave. Needless to say, I did not anticipate the extra time it would take to find a working outlet so I made Melanie and I late to our lunch while I finished up. Thank goodness I have understanding friends!

Broom ball - apparently a Michigan sport compared to "poor man's hockey". People use old brooms, duck tape and some kind of goals to run around on frozen lakes and chase balls. Mike has two nasty bruises on his elbows which he will proudly show to anyone interested. Thankfully he did not break any bones but from the sound how rough the sport really is, it's more luck than anything else.

Lunch and the movie was really fun. I enjoy going out with just the girls every once in a while. We all ate plenty and enjoyed the movie immensely. Some of us continued on to the mall afterward and window shopped. By the time Melanie dropped me off at home Mike was just returning from broom ball and I took the keys to continue on to another friend's Tupperware party. In case you didn't know, yes, they are still having those.













Saturday night was not complete yet. After having a very nice time at the Tupperware party, Mike and I met up with Steve and Tia to go out for a night on the town. We started at Shakespeare's and then ended up at Wild Bulls. We had a fabulous time and Tia even rode the bull at the bar! She did pretty well for her first time. We all cheered her on before dragging ourselves home in a cab.




Sunday we were all so exhausted we literally slept the morning away. Around noon we all got up and went to breakfast/lunch. Steve and Tia headed home and Mike and I headed home to shower and get ready for our final event. We left about 3 p.m. to head to South Bend for dinner at my sister Cami's house. Paul made us an awesome dinner of Chicken Marsala and we all caught the opening night of Big Love. We had a really nice time before heading back home at 10 p.m. We made very good time and were home and in bed by midnight. Mike and I were exhausted on Monday but we made it through somehow. Monday night I got a few loads of laundry done and went grocery shopping.

Today was relatively uneventful. Mike and I had work and then came home to relax. Mike's out plowing more of the drive. This winter is just terrible. We can barely keep up on the mounting snow and ice. Our driveway has snow up to our car windows. I need to get photos up of those soon.

In other news, Mom and Dad won an award from the Mayor of Battle Creek for the most improved house in their neighborhood! The got a plaque and $100 =) Mike and I are very proud of them and so happy they've been recognized! The next time I'm in Battle Creek I'll try to get a picture of their award-winning house to post later. Also, my friend Jessica just had her baby today and I'm super excited to see her and the new baby girl tomorrow. It's been an eventful few days =)

No comments: