It's not uncommon for me to be on a "diet". Lately I've managed to drag Mike along with me for the ride, mostly because I do the cooking and he doesn't have a lot of choice =) With the New Year as usual I have promised myself to lose a few more pounds. Therefore, January 1st, Mike and I started the South Beach Diet.
For those of you who don't know, it's not Adkins and really isn't very similar except for limiting a lot of food. The basics say you need to eat more naturally taking out the sugar, salts, and bad carbs (i.e. anything really tasty). It's rough the first few weeks but it does get easier as the cravings go away.
Anyways, I digress. With the new "natural" eating it means I have to do a lot more cooking meats and fresh or frozen vegetables. The grocery bill can really add up if you don't pay attention. In order to save some money on a favorite meat, I bought an 8 pound turkey breast to bake and freeze for smaller meals. I let it sit for three days in the refrigerator silently daring me to try to cook it.
If you ever read the label for baking a turkey you know why I called my mother and then my aunt to get a true explanation of how to cook the stupid bird. Thank God for relatives - My aunt was able to talk me through how to prepare and cook it with few problems. I admit it was awkward getting the questions "When are you cooking a turkey?" like there may be a future family meal involved and then "You're making it right now?" I'm not sure if it was geninue shock or just disappointment =) I'm proud to report the bird is edible and not too bad for my first try! I'm not sure it's as good as my aunt makes it but for a first go, I'm very happy with the results. I now have a total of 5 meals for future use. Cheers!
As for the rest of the day - Mike and I didn't do anything too strenuous. We went to see "The Tale of Desperaux" this morning. After "Benjamin Button" and "Marley & Me," I refused to see another sad movie like "Doubt" until I had seen a happier movie first. We did like it although I would recommend waiting for DVD to see it. We also slaved away at the last of our thank you cards for the wedding. I'm embarrassed it took us two months to complete. We did get through quite a few the first month but then time just flew by with the holiday.
For those of you who don't know, it's not Adkins and really isn't very similar except for limiting a lot of food. The basics say you need to eat more naturally taking out the sugar, salts, and bad carbs (i.e. anything really tasty). It's rough the first few weeks but it does get easier as the cravings go away.
Anyways, I digress. With the new "natural" eating it means I have to do a lot more cooking meats and fresh or frozen vegetables. The grocery bill can really add up if you don't pay attention. In order to save some money on a favorite meat, I bought an 8 pound turkey breast to bake and freeze for smaller meals. I let it sit for three days in the refrigerator silently daring me to try to cook it.
As for the rest of the day - Mike and I didn't do anything too strenuous. We went to see "The Tale of Desperaux" this morning. After "Benjamin Button" and "Marley & Me," I refused to see another sad movie like "Doubt" until I had seen a happier movie first. We did like it although I would recommend waiting for DVD to see it. We also slaved away at the last of our thank you cards for the wedding. I'm embarrassed it took us two months to complete. We did get through quite a few the first month but then time just flew by with the holiday.
I say he has no vision.
1 comment:
That was too funny!! Yeah, why aren't you feeding all of us with this spectacular turkey??!! :)
Post a Comment