Monday, March 3, 2014

Twins Homecoming, Sick Little Boys

February 21

Today was our last day in the hospital. After getting approval from the pediatrician and my doctor, we were out of there by 12:30. The rest of the day was pretty crazy trying to get the babies situated upstairs with me (I'm limited on how much I'm allowed to walk around/climb stairs for a few days). Both older boys wanted to play with the twins but we had to keep them away. They were both coming down with colds and the babies are too young to catch that and it not be dangerous.





Thankfully Rich and Lois were here to help with the older boys so Mike and I could adjust a bit to being back home with both kiddos.

February 22 - 23

Well, I wouldn't say we're adjusted yet but we're getting things figured out slowly. The babies did well their first night home, considering. They sleep about three hours stretches but I have them staggered on feedings so by the time I have both fed, changed and back to sleep, it's about an hour. In the hospital we had a lot of help from the nurses and we made use of the nursery to get a little extra sleep. Being home is definitely challenging without that nursery! I'm doing pretty good considering though. I thought it would be much worse. I'm feeling very blessed to have two good babies!

On Saturday it was pretty clear the kids were pretty sick. Henry had a very rough night screaming his ear hurt and Gabe is a snotty mess which usually means an ear infection is coming for him too. Mike made an appointment at the doctors to take both kids in. Both have ear infections and pretty bad colds. It's awful timing because now me and the babies have to be completely separate from the older boys until they're better.

Mike has moved to complete older boy duty and to be safe, he's sleeping in Henry's room so the babies aren't around any germs. It really sucks for me because up to now I was relying on Mike's help at night with the twins. Now I'm on my own!

February 24

My first night on my own went pretty well. It's more exhausting taking care of the two by myself but since the older boys are being taken care of by Mike and his parents, I can sleep most of the day. Today we had a doctor appointment for the twins to see how they're doing since leaving the hospital.
Both are doing great. They're back up to their birth weight and the check out was completely normal. We go back in a few weeks for their one month appointment. I had forgotten how much babies go to the doctors just for routine things! Between the twins and the sick boys, we should be there about every two weeks =P



Speaking of the boys, Henry seems to be doing better but Gabe is still pretty bad. His ears are draining something terrible and he's having trouble sleeping at night. We asked the pediatrician today about it and he said we should call on Wednesday if Gabe isn't better. We also need to continue keeping the twins away from the older boys until they're better.

February 26

Henry is completely better now but Gabe is still bad =( Mike took him in again today and they said his lungs are "wet" but they don't think it's quite pneumonia yet. They gave him a strong antibiotic that treats pneumonia just in case. Poor kid. I feel terrible because he's so sick and he's asking for me, but I have to stay away.  I'm sure this is only the beginning of when I'm going to struggle to meet all the needs of my four kids =( Gabe is getting a lot of attention from Mike and the grandparents but I know it's not the same. I feel bad he's too young to understand what's going on.

February 27

My original due date is here! I'm so glad the twins didn't make it this far =) I can't imagine how huge I would have been. Things are still moving along. The antibiotics are helping Gabe quite a bit and he seems a lot more like himself. He's still waking up a bit at night but overall he seems to be doing better. Thank goodness! Hopefully by the weekend he'll be well enough I can come downstairs with the twins every day.

Henry has been able to come up and visit me and twins now. He loves his new brother and sister and from what we hear, he's been telling everyone at preschool all about them. He thinks they're neat but a bit boring. They're too young to really respond to him yet so his visits are usually short. Tomorrow will be our first day completely on our own. We've had nannies or family since coming home from the hospital. I think we'll do okay but I guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow =)

No comments: