Monday, May 4, 2009

Swine Flu... ? No, Just Allergies...

Monday April 21st - Thursday April 23rd
I have no idea what I did this week.

Friday, April 24th

The only notable thing on this day is I finished my article! I wasn't completely satisfied with it early on in the day so I emailed it to Sally, the project manager, to ask her to read it over and let me know what she thought. I asked her to be brutal... I could take it. (Not really, but I told her that anyways). I wrote a nice email and attached my rough draft. I hit send and wanted to throw up. I felt like there was no turning back now... it was sent.

Thankfully, Sally loved it. With a few edits the document was done. I felt a huge rush of relief the project was complete and Sally was happy with it. The article is currently in the editing wheel - meaning it's on its way to be published but I'm sure it's going through many more editorial eyes and changes before it actually makes it to any publication. I'll try to remember to post it when it's available.

Sunday -April 26th

Today is my boss/friend Kim's baby shower for her family. We had the work shower but this was a more personal party. Kim's sisters hosted the event and did a great job. The party was at Kim's grandmother's retirement community lounge area. It was pretty big and had everything you needed for a large party. Phil and Kim got a lot of gifts (Phil did very well displaying them all for the crowd) and we played some neat games. Phil got a "baby changing outfit" which was really a gag gift of scrubs and other protective gear for when babies have "blown outs". One of the games I actually won a very neat serving dish because I was good at the "Old Wives Tales" of babies. I.E. If you carry high, you're having a _____ (girl). Etc.


After the party Mike and I decided to enjoy the rest of the beautiful day by driving to South Haven to check out the beach. It wasn't as warm at the beach as we hoped but I was still able to walk down the pier without needing a coat. It's so refreshing to have warm weather again... the winter was really bringing me down.
Monday, April 27th

Today I showed up at work on time, as usual, but today when I walked by Kim's office, she wasn't there. I didn't think much of at at the time because Kim has a million doctors appointments at this point in her pregnancy. I was worried however when I got back to my desk and Erin said my other boss wanted to talk to us both. At that point I thought Kim was exhausted from the party and took the day off.

So we get into my bosses office and he reveals Kim's water broke early Monday morning (3 a.m.) and she would not be returning to the office. So... three weeks early, Natalie Claire Amsterburg made her way into the world around 5 p.m. Monday night. Mom and baby are both healthy. The rest of the Distributor Relations team is crying she couldn't make it the additional month =)

Tuesday, April 28th - Friday May 1st
Most of this week I'm catching up on stuff and trying to make sure we're set for the 12 weeks Kim will be gone. My team is great and very helpful. I actually feel like we'll be fine without her for the three months. However, I am counting down the days until she is back. The crap she deals with on a regular basis is exhausting... I truly appreciate her patience with the many people who call. I had no idea I was so sheltered from the numerous requests and questions she gets in a normal day. Thankfully nothing I can't handle yet but, I'm really only on week one. I do have her phone number though =)

Saturday, May 2nd

Today is my friend Lee's Shower/Bachelorette party. Our day started out with lunch at Food Dance Cafe and then on to the Radisson for games and drinks. We were at the Radisson quite awhile before we took off for dinner. I actually took off to meet up with Mike, Melanie and Bruco for dinner before the parties met back up again for partying/dancing/etc.


I was greatly disappointed with myself and the evening. My thyroid problems are finally fixed so my weight is coming off more easily (not fast... just finally coming off). I've been trying to eat really healthful to speed up the process the last few weeks. Well my diet of 40% protein and 30/30 of carbs/fat did not take well to my appetizer of nachos and dinner of spicy Thai roll ups. I was dreadfully sick the rest of the night. I managed to make it through the bars with everyone but I was restricted to diet cokes just to stay functioning. I will not make this mistake again. Junk food in stages... not all at once.

Otherwise, the night was a good time. All our friends had fun and we were out pretty late. As a result, Sunday was pretty lazy.

Sunday, May 3rd

As I said, our night out late (thankfully without a cab since I was a sick and couldn't drink) resulted in sleeping in the next day. Mike and I got up rather late and got ready enough for breakfast out. I had waffles which were wonderful (also not part of the diet but I couldn't imagine any grease like eggs or bacon at that point). After breakfast Mike and I had an exciting afternoon of yard work, grocery shopping and laundry.

Monday, May 4th

Nothing exciting to report today. Back to the old schedule of work, gym, misc. house chores and bed. Right now I'm sick or have allergies or something. I can't breathe but I feel fine otherwise. I suspect allergies over a cold since I don't have any other symptoms. I joked on my Facebook I may have swine flu but apparently my sarcasm wasn't thick enough. Several people replied I probably don't. Doh. I may make another allergist appointment though. I'm not sure if it's the dry weather or my allergy medicine, but I'm getting bloody noses a lot. Mike just happened to see on TV today an ad for Nasonex, my medicine, and it said a common side effect is bloody nose. Maybe I should switch medications =) It's bad enough not being able to breathe without having to worry about a bloody nose on top of that!

No comments: