Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mike is my hero!

In a string of bad luck, I have had the worst people sitting behind me at just about every movie, theater show and even dinner out lately. It's more than depressing and has even started to make me question whether or not I want to go out. What have I done to make Karma punish me so harshly?

Well, tonight Mike suggested we go to the movies to see "Knowing." I wasn't crazy about the idea because one I heard it was a terrible movie and two I had a feeling I would find the same bad luck as before and sit in front of rude people. Being a Wednesday, however, I thought the chances of having a crowded theater were pretty low so I agreed to go. We arrived at the theater and found great seats in a relatively empty theater. The movie started at 7:00 p.m. and at the beginning of the movie, there were only three other people in the theater besides us and everyone was evenly spaced. Thank the Lord!

My excitement was short lived when at precisely 7:05, four teenagers paraded into the theater with dramatic flare. Lots of giggling and stomping up the stairs and falling over each other to sit in their chosen seats - directly behind Mike and I but thankfully about 10 seats down. At first, they were kind of quiet. Then my luck returned and one of them spilled a bag of skittles. Oh they giggled and laughed and used their phones to light up the area so they could push them away from their feet. After this distraction I thought they would calm down. Oh no... we had more skittles in the bag which just happened to spill all over the floor - again. This time we laughed harder and started texting our friends to let them know how "stupid" so and so was to spill the candy all over the floor.

Throughout all the giggles and distractions, I held my cool. Even when the boys started tickling the girls and the girls started kicking the seats in front of them (my row, mind you) quite hard, and my seat shook a little, I kept my cool. I think what really made me lose my cool was during a particularly intense point of the movie they started giggling and making fun of the show - loudly. Umm, okay, don't like the movie but SHUT UP about it. That was strike number one for me. Strike number two came almost immediately later when they continued their peanut gallery comments and in unison started using the row in front of them (still MY frigging row) as a dancing floor and my seat was shaking continuously through two scenes of the movie.

My patience was thin and the constant string of bad luck had finally caught up with me. I turned to Mike said, quite seriously and not at a whisper, "I am going to shoot them!" Mike thankfully stopped a possibly bad situation involving myself and an altercation with 13 year olds by firmly but politely telling the said delinquents to quiet down and stop disturbing the rest of the theater. I was stunned speechless. I was so impressed I wanted to cry tears of joy. He may not have armor or ride away on a white horse (that's a funny thought though, isn't it =) ), but tonight, Mike is my hero and I'm so happy to be married to him!

No comments: