Monday, March 16, 2009

I smell SPRING!

Tuesday, March 3rd

I have no clue what I did this day. I have a vague recollection of discussing in great detail the horrible event on the Bachelor where he dumped the girl he originally asked to marry him for choice #2. (Yeah for said dumpee who is now a star on Dancing with the Stars!)

Wednesday March 4th

Today I worked hard to get a bunch of work done before Jury Duty on Thursday.

Thursday March 5th

Jury Duty! Finally, something interesting I can talk about.

I was called for Jury Duty in early February but I had to defer until March because of our trip to Florida. I had a momentary panic attack at work on Wednesday. I filled out the required paperwork for Jury Duty with my first summons but after I deferred my day, they sent me another pack. I didn't fill out the second because I thought they'd still have the first. Then I thought to myself on Wednesday, what if I was supposed to fill that paperwork out? I had visions of huge fines and reproachful looks for my lack of intuition. I called up the County Clerk's Office quickly and was relieved to find they did have my paperwork so I was no in trouble. Phew.

I had mixed emotions about going. On one hand I wanted the experience and I thought it would be a neat break from work but on the other, you never know what you're getting into and it could take a very long time. Luckily for me, I was selected to be 1 of 6 jurors and it was a short case. Overall the entire experience was interesting. I'm a big fan of court shows like Law and Order but of course it wasn't anything like that. The case we sat for involved two women and an assault and battery charge over a stupid parking spot. After an entire day of listening to almost completely different testimonies from various people involved and just witnesses, it was a tough decision. For the most part, I thought both girls were insane. By the time the trial was over, I didn't believe either girl and thought it was a waste of tax payers money for us to sit and debate such trivial issues =P

Ultimately, we could only agree on one part of every one's story as true and the defendant even admitted that she hit the girl when she was down. We agreed she was guilty and I was the lucky soul who got to look the girl in the eye and tell her we found her guilty. Strange part was I felt like I should explain why we came to that conclusion. Ultimately, both girls were way wrong but it was her last punch in front of two witnesses... It was like I fired someone with no explanation. That sucked.

Friday, March 6th

Mike and I spent an exciting evening in front of the TV.

Saturday, March 7th

Today we had an appointment to recheck Anya's blood work. Overall, she's doing great. We're having a hard time getting her dose exactly right but we're closer every time. Mike and I have been so please with the Texas Corners Animal Hospital and Dr Brett. He doesn't like to take the credit for Anya's recovery but we're very willing to give it to him. I will post pictures of what she looked like before and what she looks like now. Overall, it's a dramatic improvement and we have all the hope in the world it will continue to be so. Unfortunately Anya's gained a lot of weight from this thyroid correction but I rather have a chubby cat with fur than a skinny unnaturally hairless one =)


Saturday afternoon we went to see "Watchmen" with Melanie and Bruco. I wasn't very impressed with it but I wouldn't say it was a waste of money either. I think if you were a fan of the comic books you would really enjoy the film. Afterwards we went to Martini's, an Italian Restaurant downtown, for dinner. We all called it an early night and went home.

Sunday, March 8th

Today Mike and I spent an exciting afternoon cleaning the house. I think we also watched some episodes of the Wire. We recently signed up for Netflix and Mike's been having a lot of fun picking out movies for us. Oh yeah, we also saw American Psycho. I'm apparently too snobby or just too stupid to get the hype from that movie. I do not find stuffing a cat in the ATM funny. No, not at all.

Monday, March 9th

Today I was home sick and miserable. I think I watched some movies and tried not to wallow in self-pity over my uselessness.

Tuesday, March 10th

Today I felt better so I returned to work. Nothing exciting happened while I was away.

Wednesday March 11th

Today was another uneventful day.

Thursday, March 12th

Ah! Thursday was a good day. Today was the day that I met Sondra for the first time. Let me back up... My brother-in-law Steve is recently single and I'm trying to remedy that situation. I asked a few friends at work if they knew of anyone I could set Steve up with and my friend Erin actually knew of someone. I went out to a local bar/restaurant with Erin to meet Sondra. I thought she was fantastic so I called Steve to tell him he needed to go out with her. After a little pleading to trust my judgement, we decided to go out on Saturday on a tripe date (me, Mike, Steve, Sondra, Erin and her date Andy). Ah, setting people up is always so thrilling!

Friday, March 13th


Mike worked late. I watched TV.

Saturday, March 14th

Today we met up with Melanie and Bruco for an early breakfast at O.P. downtown. They were celebrating St Patty's Day on Saturday too for those of us who cannot party hard on Tuesday. Mike had two green beers with his eggs and bacon and I tried a pretty awful Celtic Lemonade and decided to stick with what I know is good. I can't stand beer to begin with - making it green just makes it worse. Anyways, we were there until about 11 and then I made Mike come with me to Kohl's to look for jeans. We both made out pretty well with new outfits for our night out with Steve and his new date. I didn't get a picture though... we just weren't thinking photos for some reason.

Saturday night went pretty well. After the initial awkwardness of meeting someone new, I think Steve and Sondra liked each other well enough to at least start as friends. Of course I'm hoping for more but I know better than to push anymore than I am =) Sondra gave Steve her number so let us all cross our fingers they both can find happiness!

Sunday, March 15th

To say we were tired today is an understatement. We were out until almost 3 a.m. and it was a long day considering we woke up so early. Steve was staying out our house for the night so when he woke up the next morning at 8, I was dragging. We managed to go out to breakfast to discuss the night before and send him on his way.

Afterwards, Mike and I crashed until almost 3 p.m. I got up and started picking up a little around the house and Mike went back to work and was there quite late. If you can't pick up the trend, he has a deadline of Wednesday the 18th to get his project completed. He and a bunch of other engineers and team members are working very long hours to get this project completed. I'm a project widow during such times.

Monday, March 16th

Today was pretty uneventful. I went grocery shopping, started laundry and now I'm catching up on my blog.

Mike is still working.

Tomorrow should be pretty interesting - besides being my FAVORITE holiday of the year, St Patrick's Day for those of you living under a rock, Mike and I are going to see RIVERDANCE!!! I'm a huge fan of Irish music and dancing. The only reason we are going is because I begged and pleaded for Mike to let me use the credit card during the wedding/honeymoon time so I could get advance tickets for great seats - it's Riverdance's last tour so it's my last chance. Thankfully I have a very understanding and giving husband so he let me splurge and he's being good enough to come with me. I hope it's a great show!

No comments: