Today Mike and I finally met my nephews Oliver and Robert. We met my niece Clare the week of our wedding but over the years there just hasn't been an opportunity to meet the other two children. I heard rumbling around at about 6 a.m. but I was too tired to drag myself out of bed. Finally around 8 a.m. I got up and ran into the bathroom to make the best of my hair and find my glasses before I introduced myself to my nephews.
Robert was the first one to see me emerge from the bathroom and gave me a friendly "Hello!" Oliver was slightly shy about meeting me but soon warmed up once I gave him a big hug and told him I was happy to meet him. Both boys were very active with their toys in the morning and for them it was much later in the day because of the jet lag. Mike woke up soon after me and came out to meet the boys. Robert is slightly confused by this new Uncle we produced. He solved the problem by continually calling Mike "Mark" who is actually his OTHER uncle on his father's side. Over the day the name flip flopped from Mike to Mark but we imagine by the end of the week he'll have it right.
We brought gifts with us for the children. I got Oliver a "Mr Potato Head" which was unfortunately a little too young for him once I actually saw him with it. He was very polite but we could tell he likes his trains better =) Luckily Robert liked it and the duck we bought him that waddles when you drag it with this string. Robert really liked him and the three balls that fit in his mouth. He would sometimes pull the duck too fast and it would tip over spilling all the balls across the room. Robert is very neat for a 3 year old and refused to play further until all the balls were properly placed back in the duck's mouth. Clare was more interested in the cardboard box holding her 5-new teething balls. They're kind of neat little balls with different designs and movements so babies can look at the different colors, insides, etc.
After the gift opening session Oliver, me and Ann all worked to set up these train tracks like a roller coaster. Unfortunately we didn't have enough track and it wasn't designed to do what we wanted. Our cars met nasty fates of running into walls or falling from tall structures. We had a great time but now Oliver has the idea that we will build our own roller coaster as soon as possible. He has an incredible imagination and it's fascinating to hear how he wants to build his indoor roller coaster that starts from his bedroom upstairs.
Trains soon were boring and the kids went to the local club house to watch "Wall-E" with Ann. Sara took Mike and I around the Villa to see the sites and attractions. It's a very beautiful place with many things to see and do. On another visit we'll have to take in more the opportunities.
We discussed roller coasters and swimming at lunch at TGI Fridays. We all enjoyed a big lunch and headed back to the house afterwards for Robert and Clare to take a nap and Oliver to swim with his new "swim clothes" in the pool. Mike and I headed to Downtown Disney to look around and buy our Hopper Pass for tomorrow.
I am amazed how much the land has changed in just 10 years. Open fields are now filled with shopping plazas, apartments, hotels, grocery stores and incredibly tacky advertising schemes like giant mermaids spread across a blue building advertising what I can only assume is tacky souvenirs. Disney Downtown has expanded but for the most part stayed the same. I made Mike take me to several stores to look around and we tried on some pretty cool hats. I got him to try on a Captain Jack hat from Pirates of the Caribbean but he wasn't as thrilled as me. I was also very happy to find Stitch hats! For anyone who has seen my desk at work, you will know how much I love Stitch and how excited I was to find the hats. I had Mike take a picture since the hat itself was too expensive to justify buying =P
Once the sun went down, the temperature fell about 20 degrees and Mike and I were ready to quit walking around. We headed back to the Villa and met up with Michael and Sara for a shopping trip to Wal-Mart. Mike and I bought a few things and picked up another toy for Oliver since our first one was such a flop =P This time we think we have it right - a racing car track with loops and cars designed to stay on the track! I feel better about this gift. At least it's in the right age bracket!
Right now we're getting ready for bed. We have a long, exciting day planned for tomorrow. We bought Hopper Passes for the day to visit the 4 Disney World theme parks. I'm preparing my walking shoes and sunscreen for an early morning and long day in the sun. Mike has never been and even though I still remember the lay out of all the parks, I'm anxious to see the new updates!
1 comment:
First, a snarky comment: Why does "Uncle Mark" look more comfortable in the Stich hat than the Capt. Jack one?? Dont worry. I am fully prepared to pull those out for your future children... >:)
Robert looks so much like you and Sara did at that age. It is weird. And I cant believe how much Clare has changed since November! It is amazing.
I am completely beside myself with jealousy over the fun you are all having!!!I wish I were there to visit, too. Tell them all I send my love.
Post a Comment